Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Books... I seriously love them.

I am an escapist. There, I said it.

And I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to be. But what can I say? I am a huge movie buff. And I LOVE a good TV show (as I've mentioned before). But as much as I like to do those things, there's nothing that I like to do more than get engulfed in a good book. It's by far my favorite way to "escape"...

And since I'm not being "formally" educated right now, I figured reading books is a great way to educate myself - to keep my brain alive and alert.

So I've decided that I am going to try to read two books per month while I am abroad - that gives me two weeks to really get into and digest a book. With the lack of TV channels and movies (that play in English), I have lots of time to read, which is great. I could do four books per month really, but I'm shooting low, just to stay on the realistic side. And if I read more than that in a month, then good for me, right?

I have been in Ukraine for four weeks now and I have already met my goal and read my two books. The first one was Their Eyes Were Watching God - one of those classics that a lot of high schoolers are required to read. It was not one of my graduation requirements so I decided to read it on my own. And I really enjoyed it. It was sweet and sad and made me cry a little. Three and a half stars.

I have a thing for books that make me cry.

The other book, that I just finished the other night, is a book called The Book Thief. I highly recommend it, for more reasons than I can even begin to list. It is written so cleverly. It was one of the best books I have read in a long time and I can honestly say that I have never cried so hard in a book in all my life. And I have cried in a few.... It was seriously so tender. Four and a half to five stars. That's all I'm going to say about it. I don't want to be one of those book/movie ruiners because I've talked it up so much and it just ends up being a disappointment for you. Just go read it and see for yourself...

Now, on to number three.


4 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm so glad you are blogging. And until Book Thief, when someone asked me what my favorite book was, I'd draw a blank. It will take a lot to replace that book as my favorite. I'm glad you liked it! I also have never cried so hard, there was one part that I was reading in public and I literally sobbed aloud, it just caught me off guard. I would have been embarrassed if it hadn't been for the two minutes prior when Avee mooned the entire waiting area. By that point, I had no shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. your smelly nephews and niece are seriously the cutest in the eastern hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously nothing like a good book...I think it's even better than watching my favorite TV programs...hard to say that, but it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more! Getting into a good book takes me into different world where the good guy always seems to win and the girl always gets the guy of her dreams (well, except maybe the Nicolas Sparks books). :)

    ReplyDelete