Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lent

If I were an Orthodox Ukrainian, I'd be practicing Lent right now. I'd be preparing for Easter by refraining from all things dairy.

But as it turns out, I'm not Orthodox. So I haven't given up any cheese or milk. (Although I probably should since I'm almost positive that I'm lactose intolerant).

And although I don't practice Lent, I think it is an amazing observance and give serious kudos to those that can go 40 days without something they love. And I admire those that practice their religion so faithfully.

As I've thought about Lent and the idea of giving something up, I've started to think about the things I'd be willing to sacrifice or things that maybe I have already sacrificed. And it's hard to think of things I'd be willing to give up, whether it be for a week or for 40 days or for forever.

I've sacrificed a few things living in a foreign country. Sadly enough, the thing that came to mind first was going to the movies. And that's not even something I've willingly sacrificed, it's just something that has been sacrificed since being here because there are few if any movies that play in English. And I'll tell you, it's been really hard. I am a movie-going fanatic, a total movie buff, and I admit that I have wasted a fair amount of money on stupid movies. But nonetheless, it has been a real challenge to know about all the movies that have come out that I can't go see. It's been four months since I have seen a movie in the movie theater and it's been a huge sacrifice.

And TV... I watch way too many shows normally. But besides the occasional iTunes purchase and American Idol on one of the few American channels we get, I haven't watched much TV since I got here. That's a major accomplishment for any of you who know me well.

However, I think there's a huge difference between willingly giving something up versus giving it up out of necessity. I've come to the conclusion that there's not much that I am willing to give up, but plenty that I have given up because I have no other choice. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I guess. But I want to be able to sacrifice things because I choose to and because I know it will make my life better. There are some major eating habits that I will be changing in the upcoming months, so I guess I'm ok, right? That my friends, will be a monumental sacrifice for me.

In a nutshell, I guess what I'm trying to say is this:
I think those that observe Lent are amazingly self-controlled; I wish I could sacrifice more willingly; I really miss going to the movies and can't wait to step foot in the AMC 24 again; I will need some help beyond my own to give up some of my fave foods in a couple months; and I am really excited for American Idol tonight.

2 comments:

  1. TOTALLY AGREE with you. There are definitely things that I've given up, but not because I wanted to... I guess we live and learn. And I can't wait for you to get your cheeks back here and we can have a movie marathon of all the sweet movies you missed YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so what you are basically saying is that there is no way that you want to go off of chocolate with me for the rest of the year? Oh well. I guess going off of movies is pretty bad too. Hurry up and come home!

    ReplyDelete